Monday, February 1, 2010

Cashew Oatmeal Honey Cookies

I've been listening to "Dogs and Goddesses" on audiobook. It's by three authors whose names I (sadly) forget. But anyway, it's a pretty hilarious book. It relates a modern day (fictional!) story about three women who find that they're somehow descended from some ancient Mesopotamian priestesses, and the goddess their descendents served has come back, and wants more service. Anyway, it was highly entertaining, and a satisfying listen. (Warning! The book does contain sex. If you don't like that sort of thing, take a miss. Otherwise, it's very funny.)

Point is, one of the characters finds that she's gifted with making amazing cookies, and after hearing about all the delicious cookies she was making, I got a craving for some cookies that contained cashews. After some internet research, I realized that I couldn't find any recipes that looked appealing, so I figured I'd just make my own. And what do you know? They turned out very well.

Here's the recipe:

Cashew Oatmeal Honey Cookies
1 cup unsalted butter (very soft)
1/2 cup honey (warmed so it's runny)
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 egg
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
2 cups flour (unbleached, white)
3 cups rolled oats
1 cup cashews, chopped fairly fine (a bit smaller than a chocolate chip)

Preheat oven to 350 F. Cream together the butter and honey. Mix in the brown sugar, vanilla, and egg. Mix in the remaining ingredients. Drop by rounded spoonfuls (or what ever your favorite size is for a cookie) onto an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake for 8-10 minutes, or until golden brown and set.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Yum! Sounds good. I don't have any cashews lying around but I wonder how it would taste with the extra pistachios I have...

    ReplyDelete